New Member Welcome Activities
Congregation B’nai Israel welcomes those who would like to connect with the Jewish Community and encourages the participation of interfaith families in all activities. We are a diverse congregation and welcome LGBT individuals and couples, interfaith families, singles, and seniors to join us. We have a number of activities/initiatives to help you get connected with our spiritual community. Our Membership Committee, chaired by Fran Weinblatt, welcomes your questions and interest.
- Created a “Welcome New Member” packet of information about programs at CBI. Contact Outreach Coordinator Rhoda Miller to receive one.
- Developed a volunteer interest survey to find out how new and current members would like to become involved in programs.
- Call new members to invite them to attend or participate in specific activities/programs.
- Recognize new members in the bulletin with photos and general information about their interests.
- Assembled New Member gifts and delivered them to members’ homes (unless they preferred to pick them up at the shul).
- Have several Shabbat potluck Friday night dinners in homes of members. This is a great way for prospective and new members to feel more welcome in a small group, warm environment.
- Offer beginning Hebrew classes for adults.
- Provide a transliterated Shabbat service booklet for Jews and Non-Jews alike.
- Held a new member Shabbat to honor and formally introduce our new members to the congregation. Some new members are encouraged to participate in the services.
- Host weekly Shabbat Kiddush luncheons where prospective members are welcomed and can meet others in a warm and inclusive atmosphere. Kiddush luncheons also follow some holiday morning services.
- We have a welcoming congregation, and new and prospective members are greeted warmly by congregants and clergy.